Do you like movies? We do too! That’s why the entire Belgian team of Why Not Monday is a big fan of See You Tuesday. This movie concept is founded by Andrew Vassallo, Marie Lemaître and Niel Van Herck. Every two months this trio gives you the opportunity to see a movie at Sphinx, a cosy movie theatre in Ghent. This could be a premiere, a foreign movie that might not make it to theaters, or a classic. The fun part of this concept is that you don’t know which movie you will see. After the screening everybody is welcome in the pub of the movie theatre for a drink and a talk about what they just saw. Why am I writing about this? Well, during the next edition of See You Tuesday we will be there with a movie snacks booth. This recipe is but a little preview of what may come. Let’s get popping.
What do you need for popcorn for two?
- 1/3 cup of corn
- corn or peanut oil
- butter (I used soya butter)
- half of a lime
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
I’ve added some lime to the recipe to have a balance between sour and sweet but you can add all sorts of flavors. From spicy chili to sweet cinnamon. You can even cover them in chocolate. Popcorn is quite a neutral flavor, great for experimenting with new combinations. The first time is always tricky, you are never completely sure if all the corn is popped. I usually shake the pan, this way you can hear if there are still some grains left.
How do you make it?
- Put the oil in the pan and let it heat up.
- Add one grain of corn in the pan to test if it is warm enough. As soon as it pops, you can add the rest. Turn the heat to a medium level or even lower if your pan is really hot.
- Don’t add too many grains, make sure your pan is big enough. The grains shouldn’t cover each other, or else they won’t pop but burn.
- Try to leave the lid on the pan and shake the pan from time to time. It is almost finished when there is a long break between the popping of the grains. Turn the heat off.
- Melt the butter
- Add the sugar to the butter, stir.
- Add some lime juice and now pour it over the popcorn. Stir to make sure it is not all on one part of your bucket of popcorn.
- Don’t add too much of the butter either, or your popcorn will become soft.
Hopefully we will see each other next week in Ghent at See you Tuesday around 7.30 pm. We will be there with all kinds of snacks. Sweet, salty, healthy and somewhere in between. Let us know what you like on our facebook page or twitter! Make sure to like See You Tuesday on facebook to stay updated about their future events. For those who don’t live in Belgium or can’t make it, we will share the recipes of the movie snacks after the event! Perfect for a movie night.
We all hope to see you next week!
Julie and the Belgian WNM-team.
PS: Margot is going to make peanut butter cups and believe me, they are devine!